Monday, January 16, 2012

Stephen Gracia



1. Have you ever had a transcendent experience? If so, what happened?


I’ve had a few; sitting in the audience, listening to some one speak words I wrote for the first time (I may have taken leave of my physical form), and the night there was a Mayan temple in my shower (a story for another time) leap to mind, but I would say my first transcendent moment was my first time seeing live music on my own. It was Suicidal Tendencies at L’Amours, (an old Brooklyn Rock club), I was 16 and right up against the stage, surrounded by what seemed like every Brooklyn Punk and Metalhead-- all older, bigger, and drunker than me. The lights dimmed, feedback filled the room, and Mike Muir said: “First off-let's take it from the start; Straight out, can't change what's in my heart; No one-can tear my beliefs apart….”

I knew right then that my life would be filled with small, filthy clubs and Hardcore Punk.




2. If you had to pick one sense and lose all others, what would it be?


I’ve thought about this a lot, since I have a family history of blindness, and the fact that I may lose a sense is a very real concern.
I would say that the one sense I couldn’t do without is hearing. The thought of never experiencing music is terrifying.
I could make due as a sightless writer. Milton did it. And he didn’t have a Mac with voice recognition software. He probably just had an urchin with a quill pen.




3. What is your favorite attribute in a person?


A sense of humor. Hanging around me can get a bit tiresome, as I am constantly making up stories, songs, and noises, not to mention grabbing props, doing shtick, and commenting on Every. Single. Thing that goes on around me. If you don’t find at least some of that funny, our friendship just isn’t going to last. I love people who can make me laugh, who are natural storytellers, and who can mercilessly attack my own personal foibles. 




4. Describe your happiest accident.


I sometimes think that everything I’ve ever written is a “happy accident” as I’ve never sat down to write with anything approaching an outline. I put two people in a room and let them talk and eventually, something psychotic happens. Often, it takes me completely by surprise.




5. If you had to choose one personal object to leave behind when you are gone, what would it be? 


The photo of a 14 year old me hanging out backstage with Poison’s Brett Michaels. It’s goofy as hell and not at all Punk Rock, and it’s impossible to look at it without laughing hysterically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment