Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Michael Rhodes

1. Have you ever had a transcendent experience? If so, what happened?

I was on stage in France performing "Waiting For Godot" in English for a French speaking crowd, 1991. Toward the beginning of Act II, the actor playing Vladimir and I (Estragon) were in the middle of a passage and I somehow so connected with a moment that I ... "pushed through the page" is the only way I can describe it. I was no longer on a stage, there was no audience, I was no longer reciting lines but for an instant I was completely in the moment of this completely foreign landscape, in some eerie semblance of Beckett's desolate vision. Of course, as soon as I had a realization of this experience it vanished instantly and I was back on a stage, shaken and struggling to pick up my cues. Truly incredible and it has never happened again.


2. If you had to pick one sense and lose all others, what would it be?

Humor.


3. What is your favorite attribute in a person?

Openness.


4. Describe your happiest accident.

Being talked into going to a wedding that I really didn't want to go to back in October of 1993. I was going to leave right after the ceremony but decided to have one beer for some reason. Hiding in a corner and nearly finished with that beer, this woman came up and asked if I was holding up that wall.

5. If you had to choose one personal object to leave behind when you are gone, what would it be?

My mother's ring. I would leave it with a family member, to keep passing along as a keepsake of her memory, of what she meant to this family.

No comments:

Post a Comment